Thursday, June 10, 2010

Out of Print


Dave, one of the owners of Fishs Eddy, made a fortuitous find on a recent buying trip to the Midwest: Vintage metal stationer's engraving blocks from the 1940's and 1950's! He came back with hundreds of initials and full addresses, most in their original boxes with handwritten names and dates of when they were last used.

When I saw them they reminded me of my friend Josephine and the types of objects she often paints: aged and weathered surfaces, objects with historical content and traces of text. You can see some of her truly amazing works here. I thought if these engraving blocks didn't serve as her next muse, they would at least look great displayed in her studio.

I wrapped them in pages from old Anthropologie catalogs and adorned them with spare buttons.

1 comment:

  1. How interesting!! I am sure Fishs Eddy would appreciate it if people didn't handle these engraving blocks but they are just the thing I would like to hold in my hands and rub my fingers over the engraved letters. Great idea for extra buttons.

    ReplyDelete