Tuesday, January 12, 2010

First Impressions

















































































Last night I took a Intro to Letterpress workshop at Intima Press. It was amazing. Working with 15th century metal type is a tedious, manual, time-consuming process that could not be further from the digital technology I work with day in and day out. It was just what I needed on Monday, having felt comatose from sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours straight.

After thinking much too long and hard about it, I selected a quote by Picasso: "I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." This idea sticks with me and comes out in my desire to constantly learn and demystify techniques so that by the time I'm an old lady, just maybe, I may have the ability to make anything.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That seems to be such a cool workshop! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm printing your 2nd photo out to hang on Karl's bulletin board.

    I'm envious! What a cool thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so cool! i was just looking at letterpress videos the other day. i find it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete