Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Printer's Block

While I was meandering through the Brooklyn Flea back in August an antique Indian woodblock caught my eye. At the time Ronak was in India on a business trip and I was just settling into "our" apartment. I was on the hunt for a housewarming present for us that spoke to both our tastes.

I pondered over the worn woodblock for a while, drawn to both its form and function. I knew Ronak would appreciate it sculpturally being that it's dark wood and a relic of Indian handicraft. And for myself, I saw it as a new toy to play with and was excited to test out its printing capabilities.

Here I've finally found the time to experiment with the block using a lightweight cotton fabric and Jacquard screen-printing ink. Despite not having pre-washed the fabric to remove the sizing, the pitted wooden block made a satisfying impression and a seamless repeat design. It's become clear to me that I've only just begun to graze the surface of this beautiful old-world printing technique.

1 comment:

  1. I am curious to know what you will make with this pretty printed fabric?

    ReplyDelete