Friday, August 13, 2010

Still Growing Strong










Between packing, painting, moving and unpacking, I haven't had much spare time to work on my creative projects. I hope to have more down time soon, which will most likely coincide with the onset of cooler weather.

In the meantime, I've really been enjoying how much the garden on our balcony has grown since I planted it back in May. The sweet potato vines are reaching down towards the ground, and to my surprise we even have sweet potatoes peeking through the soil. They've gotten so big that the geraniums have backed down in submission.

The nasturtium didn't survive the heat wave in July and the lavender drowned due to lack of drainage, both of which I promptly replaced with low-maintenance succulents. On the other hand, the tomato plant is actively producing a bounty of sweet cherry tomatoes, excellent for pairing with bocconcini. :) For a little while the morning glories looked like they might not make it but have showed a lot of resilience and are coming back strong-- and finally bearing flowers!

With the gardening season so short-lived, it has me thinking that I need to get more creative in the Fall and Winter so we can still see green when we look outside our window.

4 comments:

  1. Everything is so healthy. A little bit of Heaven on the 24th floor. Looking forward to seeing what you will plant for the next 2 seasons.No doubt it will be just as beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your place in person!!!! Ron must be delighted with all the feathering of the nest. Looks like you brought the park up to your level. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You got sweet potatoes! It will be so fun to eat them with one of your great recipes (or should I say M.Stewart's recipes ;)
    The vine got so big! I think mine (Creeping Jenny) took over the petunia and so those last ones didn't grow as much as last year...but I love the vine anyway! Looking forward to seeing the balcony again in real.

    ReplyDelete